Hair Testimony: Kandi Reid

I was inspired to go natural by finding myself at a place where I truly desired to go deeper into Holiness with God. It was a time when I wouldn't be caught dead without a perm or weave and I had been in church for about eight or nine years already. I truly felt God calling me to dress more Holy starting with my hair and clothes. No one understood really when I tried to explain. They would look like "umm you wear a skirt how much more Holy can you get", lol. But I knew it was something deeper than that. I started to feel like if I go to the mall, store, etc. and I just looked like a girl with a skirt on and that's all, then something was wrong with that picture. People should be able to say hmm its something different about her. They should see and feel the Holy Ghost on me. So my skirts and sleeves got longer, necklines higher and my hair more natural:). I began really taking to heart my hair being a glory unto me! Why would I want to damage it with relaxers or hide it with weave? So my journey began. It was hard and discouraging at first but prayer and YouTube became my rescue.

It is so important for my hair to be uncut because I was always taught that of I did not clip my ends my hair will not grow and fall out. So after coming to Truth I was confused but decided to trust in God. To my amazement my hair still grew! Then when I became natural it became really hard because all I heard was "Trim, Trim, Trim". I'm like, "ok God use me to show women, especially Apostolic women, that we do not have to trim our hair in order for our hair to grow". I know how hard and discouraging it could be when you are a Black Apostolic Woman of God, when it comes to the subject of "long/uncut hair. I just want to be an example of obedience and faith unto God's Word and share my testimony.


My advice for someone transitioning would be to PRAY, PRAY, and PRAY some more and FAST over your hair. Ask God to give you the knowledge of how to take care of your hair, love, accept, and believe in your hair. Sounds crazy? Just try it. It will make your journey so much easier. Don't give up. Set small hair goals at a time. Ignore negative comments or let them push you to work harder to reach your goals. Trust in the Lord. Inspire others. Encourage others especially when you are feeling discouraged. Join blogs, YouTube, etc. for help. Email or call me! I would love to help and make new friends. I guess these tips are not just for someone transitioning but for everyone :) When going natural you would go through stages: 1. Humility 2. Confidence 3. Humbleness. The end result would be loving yourself even in through the worst times.

I just want to say that Kendra I love your blog and how you are such an inspiration to many, including me. Continue to let God use you. I was so happy to have had the opportunity to meet you at No Limits last year. I was like "Omg that's Kendra, I have to go and meet her"! Lol Well, I think this might be too long , I'm sorry. Love you hun! I hope I've helped someone out.

This is a beautiful testimony!! I was so glad I got to meet Kandi. I am honored that I have been an inspiration to someone. God is good!!

♥Kendra

No comments :

Post a Comment